Re: [TowerTalk] Rope reccomendations?

To: partsforfun@hotmail.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rope reccomendations?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:38:21 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/2005 9:06:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Looking for recommendations on rope size and type for use with the Rohn
Gin
pole.

    And you would be...? Most people are gracious enough to include at least
their name when posting. An amateur radio callsign isn't required either but
if you have one, it'd be nice to know what it is as well.

    The best rope is a relatively good-sized one - 11/16" is a good size.
It's big enough to hold with your hands comfortably and safely.

    The material itself isn't a big deal but most good, long lasting ropes
are nylon or dacron. The cheap polypropolene ones are okay for occasional use
but are stiff and don't take a knot very well and can have gazillions of little
hairs sticking out of it that can cut you or at the least, are very annoying
when you're handling it.

    I've got a relatively cheap braid-on-braid 11/16" yachting rope that I've
been using for years. It probably has over 600 days on it with *many* hoists
per day in most instances. I'd suggest spending a little bit more money and
get a decent - rather than cheap - rope.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TT ADMIN
TOWER TECH -