[TowerTalk] Fw: replacement guys (was ...and C31XR)

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: replacement guys (was ...and C31XR)
From: "Mike Coogan" <mikegc@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:24:50 -0700
You might be referring to a article written for QST, August 1993, by Lew
Gordon, K4VX. This article is found in the ARRL publication, Yagi
Antenna Classics. Using NEC, he models  a 109' tower carrying two large
yagi's, one at 54' and the other at 109'. The tower is constructed with
conductive guys.
Quoting his conclusion, "Continuous, conductive guy wires do disturb the
patterns of antennas mounted on towers. But unless you're a purist in
pursuit of unrealistically clean side lobes, these effects are of no
practical importance."
In my area, we had a rash of vandalism, where a wacko got his jollies by
igniting (burning) the coax to a number of commercial and cell towers
including a 200' plus tower used by the Washington State police.  A
local ham tower, AB7F also suffered the same fate. John suffered a bad
cut while trying to extinguish the fire.
These happenings really got me wondering would I want synthetic guys
that burn and can be easily cut!

                                    Mike Coogan  W7MGC
                                    Vancouver, Washington