[TowerTalk] Top hats on mobile HF antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Top hats on mobile HF antennas
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:17:07 -0400
Jim asked:

<<...snip... Would a top hat attached to a mobile screwdriver antenna be a
beneficial addition even if used only when stationary?  Just wondering if it
would make a significant difference down on 80 or even 40 meters, or make it
possible to work 160 on an antenna that can only get down to 80 without it?
Are there any thoughts or guidelines on size?  Do they need to be "tuned" to
a frequency?   TIA, Jim KG0KP >>

Hi Jim,

Homebrew mobile HF antennas have been the focus of much of my experimenting
in the past few years, and I can tell you that a capacity hat placed at the
top or free end of a shortened antenna *will definitely* increase
transmitting efficiency and your signal reports.
  The idea, in a shortened radiator, is to draw as much current as possible
over as much length of the antenna as possible. You will find that you use
much less of your coil to resonate the antenna, reducing losses in the coil,
and passing more current up higher on the radiator. This is why cap hats
work best when they are at the top of a vertical, or the free end of the
radiating element.

Tom has provided us with good theory to back this up.

To answer your question about tuning: you will have a different (lesser)
amount of coil to resonate your antenna on 20, 40, and 80. If you just tune
the screwdriver from inside while watching for an SWR dip, then you can
continue the same procedure. If you have marked your coil for tuning
positions to allow you to visually inspect it via your rear view mirrors,
these positions will change with the hat.
I'm not sure, but I think some screwdriver designs have an impedance
matching circuit that kicks in at the base for 40 and 80, and may be
triggered by a certain point on the coil. These trigger points will change
with a hat in place. Those in the know, please jump in with comments.
I use a homebrew version of the Lakeview Inducti-match on my homebrew
bugcatcher syle antennas, and manually change the tap for 40 and 80 when I
change the tap on the resonating coil.
  The problem with mobile antennas is that the proven wire hat with
perimeter wire, which is quite effective, is not particularly practical
because it catches on tree limbs and, if made from sheet metal, catches too
much wind.
If you are stationary, this is not a problem. You can make your own cap hat
assembly that will clip onto your whip.
See a plan I developed a few years ago at:
http://www.qsl.net/n1lo/mobilhf.pdf

In this case, I used stainless wire to construct a mobile hat that cut
through the wind fairly enough to be useable at highway speed, but still
subject to low tree limbs.
Some real numbers from this experiment (roughly 9.5' vertical mast, 32" dia
hat w/perimeter wire):
  1) Resonance without top hat: around 21-22 MHz
  2) Resonance with top hat: around 18 MHz

It's doubtful that with a similar size hat, that you could take an antenna
already resonated at 80m down more than 1-2 MHz. Definitely not all the way
to 160m without a taller whip and more coil.

Look around at some of the ads in QST for 'Hot Rodz' and you'll see that
commercial suppliers are catching on to the advantages. To make them more
practical for mobile use, they use just the radial spokes without the
perimeter wires. Passes through limbs better with some loss of capacity
without the perimeter wire.

Again, for stationary use, you could buy a ready made Hot Rodz set and use
it as is. Or you can add your own perimeter wire, for the most extra
capacity for the least amount of work. However (there's always a compromise
somewhere!) you may have to go to a stiffer whip to support the cap hat.

I made a new design of top loaded mobile HF antenna this spring that does
not catch at all on trees, and so far, has been self supporting at highway
speeds. I would like to eventually post a plan, but it involves homebrewing
the *entire* antenna. The efficiency boost on 40 and 80 is significant.

Happy experimenting! Almost anything you clip on the top will work
stationary, as long as you have a tight connection.

--...MARK_N1LO...--