Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile Antenna

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mobile Antenna
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 08:17:58 -0700
At 07:57 AM 10/1/2005, you wrote:
>I'm looking to mount an HF antenna on my Honda Del Sol.  It's a small car
>which is not meant to tow anything, so there's not a lot of exposed frame
>and it
>has a "rubber bumper".  I took a quick look underneath and didn't see a whole
>lot to attach the antenna to.

Is there a towing/tie-down lug?  On my VW Passat, I fabricated a kind of
"clamp" that had a bolt through the middle of the tow lug and essentially
gripped the lug with a 1/4" steel plate on each side.  All it took was a
couple feet of 2"x1/4" flat stock, sawed and bent and drilled.  I used the
one in the front, because I have a screwdriver and I needed to be able to
see it.  Reaching in through the front grille to tighten the bolt was a bit
of a pain, but only has to be done once.

On my BMW, there's a removable cap in the (plastic) bumper that exposes a
tapped hole that one can put a bolt into. I haven't checked to see if it's
grounded, but clearly, it's structurally sound.

The other approach is the SGC QMS scheme.. a couple straps and rubber
suction cups to hold it to a body panel.

Or, something that clamps to the roof rack.  On the Passat, there was a
great bolt for grounding underneath a plastic endcap that went into a
threaded insert welded to the body.  I started with that for the
screwdriver, but because I couldn't see it, I went to the front mount.