Re: [TowerTalk] [SteppIR] boom balance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [SteppIR] boom balance
From: "Don Moman" <ve6jy@3web.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:32:23 -0000
I speak from personal experience (in  trying to test to destruction) in
saying that the AlfaSpid rotor wouldn't have any issues handling these kind
of side loads.  The rotor design has 2 steel pipes that overlap each other,
with substantial bearings at both levels to take any side torque.  I have
had, on test here for the last few years, a 6 el 20m yagi on a 48' boom
mounted entirely outside the tower on this rotor. While not perfectly
balanced (but reasonably close) it still experiences significant side forces
when the wind is blowing. This test was mainly to allow us to suggest to
owners of towers (usually crankups) that were too small to permit mounting
the rotor inside, that they could still mount significant wind loads on our
rotor mounted above the tower.

73 Don
VE6JY