Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Lubricating air variable capacitors

To: <keith@dutson.net>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Lubricating air variable capacitors
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:20:55 -0600

 DuPont also makes a Teflon white
> lithium grease in a spray can that would work as well.

I was trying to think of that earlier.  We use it on various machines at
work.

If this is an old variable cap, chances are that not only does it need
lubrication, but it needs to be cleaned.

If the cap is intended for HV use, the accumlated junk on the plates will
lower the working voltage considerably.

I have a bunch (bunch=too many) of old variable caps here.  Since I've
recently aquired a hi-pot tester I've been hi-potting everything.

I'm amazed at the amount of leakage a cap will have before cleaning, and how
little it will have after.

Also, don't forget to put contact cleaner on the wiper.

Moving right along to WD-40 and my garage door:  For years I had to lube the
hinges on my garage door every couple of months, especially in the winter
(which last 17 months, here in Montana), since the motor was just barely
capable of lifting it.

A couple of years ago I used 3 in 1 oil on all the hinges and have not had
to lube it since.

WD-40, when I'm out working on a tower, works great as a wasp killer.

A friend of mine, who is in the tower business here, uses disc-brake cleaner
as an effective, and less-costly alternative to commercial wasp-killer.

Whatever and 73,
Barrie, W7ALW