Re: [TowerTalk] Lift cable, Galv Steel, vs Stainless

To: <paul@w8aef.com>, "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lift cable, Galv Steel, vs Stainless
From: "k0dan" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:36:24 -0500
Hi Paul...

Help me understand here (I knew my statement would somehow get me in
touble)...

There's one wire which comes off the winch wound clockwise, another would
counterclockwise. Obviously they work reciprocally.

I had an event a few years ago, where, due to excess slack on one of the
cables, it slipped off the pulley on the upper section and got bound between
the "axle" of the pulley and the pulley mounting hardware on the top
section. It stretched and broke. The tower remained standing. Luckily I was
aware that some failure had occured and by inspection from the ground was
able to determine what had happened. Slowly, carefully, I was able to to
lower the tower without further incident.

The cables were repaired and replaced (I am using heavier duty EHS cable),
and all seems well again, altho I still have troubles keeping a good balance
between the winch cables "too tight" or "too much slack". The
spring/turnbuckle assembly does not seem to have the range of adjustment to
avoid one side of the winch from getting too much slack.

So my question...what happened in my case which gives me the impression of
redundancy?

And the bonus question, do you have a suggestion as to how to pull in the
slack off the winch? (The manual's narrative is not adequate. I talked to
one of the guys at Tash who suggested putting a cbale grip + come-along on
the slack cable and pulling and extra loop onto the winch, but I have never
figured out where to connect the come-along or how to make my cable grip
hold onto the cable...what with the thimble and other hardware covering the
end of the cable).

Appreciate your comments.

73

Dan