Re: [TowerTalk] galvenizing vs painting a tower platform

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] galvenizing vs painting a tower platform
From: "Daron J. Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 17:13:11 -0700
> Is the cold galvanizing compound adequate?  How many coats should be
> applied?
> Is it better than just painting it with regular paint?

We use this on galvanized conduit where we had to cut threads, and on lots
of other outdoor stuff on the coast.  It is better than nothing, but seems
to last less than a year before rust sets in.

You might consider a marine epoxy paint.  We've used this stuff on untreated
pipe and steel components with very good results.  It's expensive, but seems
to better than rattle can paints.

Good Luck!

N7HQR