Re: [TowerTalk] Lubricating air variables

To: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, <jacobsen_5@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lubricating air variables
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:29:34 -0400

> On Oct 7, 2005, at 9:10 AM, <jacobsen_5@msn.com> <jacobsen_5@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ok, Bill, for those of us in the North country, WHO/WHAT is LPS2 or
>> 3???
>> Who makes it??  Enquiring minds want to know.
>
> Why LPS makes it. LPS 2 is a silicone lubricant. LPS 3 is a silicone

It is a hydrocarbon based lube, penetranant, and rust inhibitor.
I use LPS 1, 2, and 3. LPS 2 is often used for corrosion proofing aircraft
older aircraft as it contains enough low viscosity, highly volitile,
penetranant to get into all the cracks that evaporates quickly but leaves
the "thicker" stuff behind for corrosion proofing.  LPS 3 OTOH is thick and
does not penetrate well in such situations.

You can purchase LPS 2 by the gallon, 5 gallon, and 55 gallon container.
5 gallons is far more than necessary to corrosion proof a good sized single
or twin engine airplane with lots left over. Thing is, you spray it, then
let the plane set out in the hot sun as it'll drip for weeks otherwise.

> corrosion inhibitor.

I think you will find that although the company does make some specialty
silicones, the LPS line is hydrocarbon based according to the MSDS and the
lables on the cans.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com