[TowerTalk] Corrosion-proofing coax connections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Corrosion-proofing coax connections
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:52:27 -0400
Tony

<< Checked an old PL259 connector and noticed some corrosion on the center
pin.
I was surprised since the connector was packed with "Stuff". Is there a
better non-conducting anti-corrosion RF connector grease out there?
Preferably, something I can find at Home Depot?
73 Tony KT2Q >>

Hi Tony,

Sounds like you're referring to the product called 'Stuf' sold specifically
for RF connectors at a hefty price. I'm surprised that corrosion developed
in your connector. How long has it been in the weather, and did you also
coat the center pin on the PL-259 before assembly?

This material appears to be identical to 'dielectric grease' or 'spark plug
boot grease', which is available in tubes very inexpensively at auto parts
stores. This is a thick silicone grease made specifically for keeping
moisture out of connectors.

I use PL-259 connectors on my mobile HF antennas at the feedpoint, under the
bumpers. The dielectric grease does a great job of keeping these clean. I
wouldn't recommend the usual antioxidant pastes, such as NoAlox or Ox guard,
since these may possibly create a conductive path between the center pin and
shell.

GL

--...MARK_N1LO...--