[TowerTalk] Plumbing Universal Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Plumbing Universal Tower
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:08:28 -0500
Hi Jim,

I have installed several Universal Tower bases during my radio career. You are
right, there
isn't any "after the fact" adjustments for these bases. This isn't a problem.
Here's how I
poured the bases for my towers.

Dig the hole per manufacturers specs.
Place 3 bricks or blocks in the bottom of the hole.
Stand the base and first section upright in the hole.
Use a carpenters level to plumb the section.
You may need to "adust" the bricks/blocks.
During the concrete pour, monitor the plumb with your level.
When topped off, you can manually shove the tower into plumb, if necessary.
If the concrete pour is slow, re-plumbing usually isn't necessary.

A second method I have seen used is to suspend the base and first section above
the hole.
You insert 3 long 2x4's under the lowest Z braces and support the ends with
concrete blocks.
You can strap the Z braces to the 2x4's for additional piece of mind.
This has the advantage that you don't have to mess with the bricks/blocks in
the bottom of the hole.
You then plumb the bottom section at ground level quite easily.
You can also tie a rope on each leg at the top of the first section and stake
these out 10 or 20 feet.

In general, the carpenters level will provide a very accurate plumb for you. If
you have a 4 to 6 foot deep
hole, the section will remain in plumb as long as the pour is into the center
and isn't poured too fast. The
concrete can knock the tower around if the load is dumped "full speed"! Discuss
this with your concrete
driver before you start the pour.

But don't worry, you will do just fine! It's a little intimidating the first
time you do this. Concrete seems
so permanent! But you have at least 15 minutes (or more) to make adjustments.
Make sure you place
a concrete form at the top so you can square it off and make it look "pretty"!
Engraving your callsign and
date into the base is optional. :-)

73 de Bob - K0RC

Message: 4