Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Barrel connectors

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sealing Barrel connectors
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:56:34 EST
In a message dated 11/2/05 4:04:23 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
vze1u2wn@verizon.net writes:
I'm trying to picture this...so one end goes  in the top and the other goes
through the bottom in a hole you make?  How do you seal the each end?

Ah, I used to teach math, not English.  I didn't explain it right.  You put
the barrel connector in the two pieces of coax.  Put a little insurance tape on
the connection.  Then you shove that connection into the bottle, making sure
the part with the barrel connection is NOT at the dead end, but rather running
along the inside of the bottle.  A smaller bottle works fine for RG58/59, and
a 2 liter size will work for RG8 etc.

I also use this technique for joints hanging in the air, like the 1/4 wave 75
ohm lengths of coax to match my suspended quad loops to 50 ohm.  I always use
light coax on these to cut down on weight.  With these, the joint goes inside
the bottle after running and securing the two pieces of coax to the OUTSIDE
of the bottle.  If you do it right, the end of the bottle will face down and
you won't even have to seal it.

Bottles can also be used to make a 'cap' where two pieces of coax are butted
out in the field...like where hardline is terminated to coax.  Both pieces are
run parallel, side by side, put together by two 90 degree elbows and then
capped with a 2 liter bottle, secured with cable ties or a little tape.  Also,
antenna coax when an antenna is under construction, can be covered with a
bottle.

I love the damn things.  I keep bunches around just for coax.

Bill K4XS