Re: [TowerTalk] cord reel for a inverted L

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cord reel for a inverted L
From: Ian White G/GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 23:02:22 +0000
Jim Brown wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:17:50 -0600, FireBrick wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering if anyone ever used a automatic windup cord reel on
>>their crank up tower?
>
>Ron Steinberg, K9IKZ, was playing with several ideas for a reeler of
>some sort for an inverted vee supported from his crank-up.

A few years ago, I asked for brainstorming solutions to this problem via
the magazine column. There were several interesting suggestions (eg
suspended weights in two deep holes in the ground, optionally disguised
as a matched pair of wishing wells) but it did flush out an idea that
works: run the ends of the inverted-V through pulleys, with long bungee
cords tied back to the tower. If the cords are long enough, and the
right grade, they provide a good tension over a wide range of tower
heights.

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek