Re: [TowerTalk] re Twinlead zepp

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Twinlead zepp
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:07:56 -0600
Well, sure we are making too much fuss over these names, but I have idle
time on my hands. <grin>

Earlier I went searching for the current usage of the term center fed
zepp. I guess I should have said why. My point was that there should be
some current definition of this term so that when someone uses it you
know what it is.  I haven't been able to find that definition. Like you
said, if you know what it means, don't worry about it.

I know there are old references, but old terms sometimes get changed by
hams to mean something different, so I didn't search anything old.

I just now looked up an old definition (1981) that says a center fed
zepp is the same thing as a half wave center fed dipole, feedline not
being relevant to the definition.  It has to be a half wave. Is this the
current usage?

I know there are references from Engineering sources, but I want to know
how hams use the term, so I didn't look at engineering references.  For
example, you noted a difference in the dipole definition when you looked
in a Communications book.

At least with all this searching and discussion, I'm narrowing down the
possibilities.

Fuchs antenna ...hmm... my first 80 meter antenna was a center fed Fuch.

Hit me again.  I can take it.

Jerry, K4SAV