Re: [TowerTalk] Tree attenuation

To: "Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tree attenuation
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 09:26:41 -0800
At 07:57 AM 11/8/2005, Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:
>Anyone know where we can get our hands on that research?

Which research in particular?
The older stuff tends to be published in places like IEEE Transactions on
Antennas and Propagation, and sometimes in Radio Science.  Newer things,
particularly when it's in connection with radar remote sensing, is often
published in Journal of Geophysical Research (usually abbreviated JGR), as
well as the Trans. on Ant. & Prop.

There's also an enormous amount of stuff that's published (after a fashion)
on one form or another of "technical reports".  These can be pretty hard to
track down, particularly if the author is dead or otherwise incommunicado.

There's also some handbooks online at JPL:
http://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/Propagation/propagation.cfm
but they tend to be oriented more towards links where one end is a
satellite, so propagation through lots of trees or hills isn't usually an
issue.

Typically, one finds one paper that's interesting, and then you look for
other papers by the same author, or look for the papers referenced by the
paper.  Google, IEEE Xplore, and WebOfScience are your friends.

Some authors and years they published (I'll see about conjuring up a better
bibliography on this) mostly oriented towards HF and VHF

Austin (98,00,02,03)        (HF NVIS)
Burke (84, 89)              (NEC related stuff)
Breakall (94)               (using NEC-BSC for terrain modeling)
Cavalcante (82,83,94,98)  (propagation in forests)
Coleman (02)                (lightning noise propagation)
Hagn (88,99)                (ground parameter measurement, propagation
through trees)
Wallace (92)                 (HF in Desert Storm)
Lindenmeier (88)            (active antennas)
Lastovicka (?)              (antenna designs for ionospheric effects)
Tamir (67, 77)              (trees and terrain)
Vogel (99,etc)              (trees)

You might also look at the ITS site at NTIA, where they have lots of
references to the Longley-Rice modeling.