Re: [TowerTalk] 160M DIPOLE USIGN COAX

To: "J. Hector Garcia XE2K" <hector@telecom1.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160M DIPOLE USIGN COAX
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:06:24 +0000
Hector:

     Many folks have asked on TowerTalk in the past about using coax for
shortened ground radials, using the VF to shorten the required length.  That
doesn't work.  The VF is important only when using the coax as a transmission
line, NOT when you want to use one conductor as a single wire.

     If you do not have enough room for a full size dipole on 160M off your
tower, try a half-sloper wire.  That is one half of a dipole (for 160M a wire
about 125 feet long) hung off the tower near the top and connected at the
ground end to a tree, etc away from the tower, not folded back to the tower.
Then connect the center of your 50 Ohm coaxial feedline to this wire (use an
insulator at the tower top to hold the wire and connect the coax to a short
piece of the wire coming out of the insulator.)

     Then connect the coax shield to the tower somewhere below your HF Yagi,
etc..  This is the tricky part.  You will have to try several times to get a
good match for 50 Ohm cable but you should be able to find a good spot on the
tower.

     I understand that this arrangement uses the tower and antennas above the
tap point as a vertical radiator; the sloper wire is one radial for a
ground-pane.

     I did this with my 64 foot tower on 80M.  My tap point is at 50 feet above
ground.  I have a Bencher Skyhawk antenna and D40 dipole on the mast above the
tower.  This sloper wire works very well for me on 80M with only  100W.  Maybe
you can first try connecting the coax shield to your tower at 100 feet.

     Please ask if you want more information.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F