Re: [TowerTalk] 160M DIPOLE USING COAX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160M DIPOLE USING COAX
From: "Reicher, James" <JReicher@hrblock.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:50:19 -0600
Hector (et al),

I've successfully reduced the size of my 160M inverted vee to just 100
feet, using loading coils.  Performance appears to be quite adequate,
although I've taken no measurements other than SWR, due to lack of
instruments or software.  I used 18 gauge magnet wire wrapped around a
PVC form.  The legs of the antenna are just 50 feet long per side, for a
total length of 100 feet.  I won't claim that its performance is
optimal, after all, it is a reduced size antenna, but I was able to tune
it to a 1.3:1 SWR without the use of a tuner.  I've run the ARRL 160M
Contest with it in the QRP category and had little difficulty being
heard by any station I worked (I came in second in my division that
year).

I got assistance in designing the coils from this website:
http://ecosse.org/jack/radio/software/loading.html

This page will tell you what the loading coil inductance needs to be,
based on frequency, length of the antenna, the position of the coil, and
the diameter or gauge of the wire used to wind the coil. After you've
determined the inductance, go to this page to design the coil itself:
http://ecosse.org/jack/radio/software/newcoil3.html

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO