To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 35, Issue 49
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 06:19:40 -0600

> On 11 Nov 2005 at 21:27, FireBrick wrote:
>
>> The best type of winches are worm gear.
>> But...many winches are rated for HORIZONTAL loads.
>
> I need educating...  What is the difference between a load that is
> "horizontal" and one  that is "vertical"?  To the winch, isn't a load
> just a load?  OK, the load could be one that puts the mounting plate
> in shear, or in tension, or a combination, but what do vertical and
> horizontal have to do with it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> 73,
>
>  George T. Daughters, K6GT

George, we need an engineer to answer that.
But I know that the specs for many of the common winches specify 'pulling load
and not
'lifting' load. I've even seen charts that derate a winch if it's pulling up a
incline.
(it may be related to the extra effort my waistline and butt put on my legs
nowadays)

I had a Daiton/Hudson (spelling?) winch (original equipment that came with it)
on my old
Wilson rotatable. I purchased an exact replacement from Grainger. It failed
within weeks
and when I contacted Grainger for a replacement the guy strongly declined
saying that load
rating on the winch was only for pulling. Even though the catalog ad made no
mention of
that.