Re: [TowerTalk] Radio tower self resonanance

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radio tower self resonanance
From: Brian K Harris <brian.k.harris@philips.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:07:29 -0600
Attach a shunt wire somewhere near the top of your tower.  The lower end
of this wire should just reach the ground.  Connect the lower end of that
wire to a clip lead.  Wrap the clip around the coil of your GDO about 4-5
times, ground the other end of the clip lead to your tower's ground system
and use the GDO to find the dip.  This way usually works.  I seem to
remember my tower/antenna system (Trylon 62' tower self-supporting, 14' of
mast sticking out of tower, 2 element XM-240 at 74' and TH6DX at 64')
measured about 1.6 MHz.  Two years later, the shunt feed system that
prompted me to make this measurement is still only half finished.

Brian K. Harris, WA5UEK

Email:    brian.k.harris@philips.com

K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Sent by:
towertalk-bounces@contesting.com

towertalk@contesting.com
cc

Subject
Re: [TowerTalk] Radio tower self resonanance
Classification

Robert Chudek wrote:

>What method would I use to determine/measure the self resonance of my
tower?

>73 de Bob - K0RC

Hey Bob, good question.  Same one I asked a few days back and never got
any answers.
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2005-10/msg00144.html

Jerry, K4SAV