Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G/55G foundation dimensions

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G/55G foundation dimensions
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:55:56 -0000
From: "Dick Green" <dickgreen@verizon.net>
To: "Tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>; "YCCC" <yccc@yccc.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 6:38 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45G/55G foundation dimensions

> Hi. I'm putting together specs for a tower installation that will
> consist of
> 100' of Rohn 45G or 55G (or equivalent) with pier pin base. The
> local zoning
> administrator would like some detail on the concrete footings for
> the tower
> and guy anchors. The Rohn catalog only shows specs for an embedded
> base
> foundation and doesn't show any detail on reinforcement. No
> dimensions,
> other than the rod angle, are shown for guy anchor footings.
>
> Questions:
>
> - What hole depth and concrete dimensions are required for a Rohn
> 45G or 55G
> pier-pin base?
>
> - What are the specs for the rebar cage?

In my 1996 catalog, these are shown on Rohn Dwg C610621

> - What hole depth and concrete dimensions are required for standard
> guy rod
> anchor footings?
>
> - Is rebar required for an anchor rod footing, or does the rod
> provide
> enough reinforcement?

These are on Rohn Dwg C620643

> - If I decide to use I-beam posts to elevate the guys, what hole
> depth and
> concrete dimensions do I need?
>
> - Is rebar required to reinforce an I-beam post or will the post
> provide
> sufficient reinforcement?
>
> - What's the max height of the I-beam above ground?

Not much is available from Rohn on this subject, although the catalog
has a murky photo of a 10' I-Beam, showing a 45 degree diagonal cut at
the top, with each guy level going through its own separate hole.
Check the towertalk archives on "elevated guys." There has been a lot
of previous discussion. Serious buried depth, heavy metal, and lots of
concrete are in order for elevated guys. An engineered solution is
preferred. Serious overkill is a possible alternative. Either way,
it's rather expensive.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ