[TowerTalk] Help with PE certification of tower in NJ

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help with PE certification of tower in NJ
From: "Bob A. Booey" <rentwist@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:57:48 -0500
Hello Tower Gurus,

I have installed a 55 foot Rohn 25 antenna tower on my property, secured to the
side of the house under the eve with a HBUTVRO (HD house bracket) at 21 feet
and guyed with Phillystran HPTG2100I (2100 lb.) at 50 or so feet.  Two guys are
secured with 3000 lb. screw anchors out 45 feet (like the Rohn GAS604 but rated
a little higher) and the third goes into an eye anchor (like the GAW 25) in the
house roof through two sistered roof joists.

The problem is that the township (Brick) got after me for permits after I had
put the tower up (but before I put the antenna up).  After a (long) time of
them trying to figure out what was needed, they asked me to file for permits,
which I did.  They said that if the base wasn't a footing (i.e. another bracket
with cantilever), that I would not have had to get permits.  the tower top is
less than 20 feet above the peak of the house roof.  Anyway, I supplied all the
pertinent Rohn design information on the guying details (110 MPH zone, about 10
min from ocean), concrete base, antenna wind load (ATB-34, 5.5 sq. ft.), etc...

After a bunch more time they came back and said I need to have the design and
installation certified by a licensed PE.  I consulted a friend who once had a
tower in Wall, NJ.  He concurred on the PE thing but thought that there was
something in the International Building Code allowing towers attached to a
house to be up to 30 feet above the peak of the roof (without PE certification?)

So, I am writing this to ask:

- The advice of anyone in NJ who has erected a tower and what is required (If a
PE cert., a recommendation would be great)

- Any critique of the design as I have described it.

- Any advice about the year 2000 IBC (what Brick cited) as it pertains to a
tower attached to the house but with a concrete base.

Thanks in advance and 73,

Bob, WA2T