Re: [TowerTalk] Radials, lightning ground, RF ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials, lightning ground, RF ground
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:44:56 -0500
Hello Dudley,

Let me try to help clear the confusion. to the best of my understanding.
There are three separate entities to consider:

1) RF COUNTERPOISE/GROUND SCREEN. A set of radials or mesh to help an
antenna (usually a vertical) radiate more efficiently with fewer ground
losses is an RF counterpoise or ground screen. These can be light gage wire,
bare or insulated, elevated, laying on the ground surface, or buried. The
maximum gap between conductors should be no more than .05 wavelengths for
good efficiency. These 'radials' (in the case of a mesh, they're not even
radial) may or may not make a decent connection to a volume of earth.

2) An RF GROUND, is a connection to earth; that is, soil, typically. A basic
RF ground is typically one or more ground rods connected together, driven
vertically, or laying horizontally in trenches (in rocky soil). Horizontal
buried copper strap can also act as an RF ground. One or two ground rods,
typically connected with #6 bare copper, or lighter wire, can act as a basic
RF ground for your radio, and can sink a small amount of current to earth.

3) A LIGHTNING GROUND, is an RF ground to protect a tower or mast that has
typically at least 6 ground rods, connected with #6 or heavier copper wire,
mechanically clamped or CAD-welded together, that makes a connection with a
large volume of earth and:

can distribute and sink a large current (from a lightning strike) to that
earth.

A general rule of thumb is that a single vertical ground rod can reasonably
connect to a volume of earth approximately equal to a sphere having a radius
equal to the depth of the ground rod. More than one ground rod in the same
sphere is redundant. This is why ground rods in a LIGHTNING GROUND system
are spaced twice their depth: to help connect to the maximum volume of earth
without overloading that earth with charge. When there is an insufficient
volume of earth to sink the current from the lightning strike, that energy
will seek other paths that can be destructive.

Now, you see, that insulated or elevated wires in an RF counterpoise or
radial system, cannot sink any current to earth, and cannot act as an RF
ground or lightning ground.

AN RF counterpoise/ground screen having light gage bare, buried wires or
mesh, can be both an RF counterpoise AND and RF ground, but would be burned
up by lightning strike current.

A heavy duty RF counterpoise made from #6 bare, buried copper radial wires,
such as already described here, used on commercial broadcast installations
(very costly), can fulfill all 3 functions: RF counterpoise, RF ground, and
lightning ground.

Hope this helps.

--...MARK_N1LO...--

Dudley Wrote:

<<Gary,
   I am now officially confused.  Suppose I built a vertical and ran 40 0.2
wavelength rf radials of insulated #14 wire along the top of the ground.
Suppose I had a single ground rod near to and connected to the radials near
the vertical.  How would you augment this installation to provide good
lightning protection?  Wouldn't it still require a handful of heavy gauge
radials with ground rods along their length?  Dudley - WA1X >>