Re: [TowerTalk] ALTERNATIVE TRIBANDER

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <CubexCo@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ALTERNATIVE TRIBANDER
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:02:58 -0500
I endorse this idea.  I have also found in A/B tests with yagis, that quads can
be a lot quieter on receive, which can be very helpful at times!  One time I
was single band 15 in the ARRL DX CW with 8/8 Telrex monobanders, with a nice
Europe run Saturday morning.  The QRN started to build.  I couldn't copy the
weak ones who continued to call.  I switched to a 4-element Skylane quad that I
had and the noise went away and I could copy all the weak ones.  I continued to
use the 8/8 on transmit and used the quad on receive.

I have saved quad parts and have planned to put up a quad stack (4/4 or 5/5),
just for fun.  No one "around these parts," have a quad stack -- actually,
hardly anyone has a quad any more!  NK3R (ex-N5OKR), one of the W3LPL
multi-multi ops, had a nice 4-element but when he moved QTHs he didn't put it
back up (yet) -- I asked if he was interested in selling it and he said he's
gonna hold onto it with the thought of maybe putting it back up.  That's okay,
I've got enough quad parts already.

The main challenges I've found with quads are building and maintaining them,
since they're frustratingly three-dimensional and somewhat fragile compared to
the basically two-dimensional and more robust Yagi, mechanically.  I don't plan
on ever putting one up except on a self supporting tower or pole, so that I can
raise them straight up and down with minimum hassle.  Otherwise, I question
whether the mechanical hassle is worth it.  If you have access to a "sign
truck" or small crane (assuming you're not putting it really high up, in which
case you'll need a bigger crane) or don't mind hiring one, you could "pop" the
quad on and off the top of the tower when you install or maintain it.  In that
case, a guyed tower would be okay.

73 - Rich, KE3Q