[TowerTalk] True north...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] True north...
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 23:19:18 -0500
VK2SN, Sean, raised the question of how to
properly orient his tower.  Since he's using NOVA..
which is a satellite tracking program, and an el/az rotor,
he really DOES need to get it fairly close.

As opposed to the last 15 times this thread raised its
ugly head...where guys with yagi's having 70 degree halfpower
beamwidth were worried if they were pointed precisely north.
Satellite antennas require some precision.

The declination provided by....I lost the reference....should
help you.  All you need is a hand bearing compass, apply the
adjustment, and off you go.  Just make sure you apply the
correction with the right sign.

Instructions for finding true north through use of
Polaris aren't particularly useful, as you're south of the equator,
and polaris won't be visible.  At least, I believe I am correct in
that observation.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org