Re: [TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True North

To: rtnmi@sbcglobal.net, sean@vk2sn.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Positoners Calibration to True North
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:32:11 -0800
Folks,

A little research produced Map and photo websites of your address, assuming
22 Attunga St
Woollahra NSW:
Say you want true north accurate to 2-4 degrees:
Use degrees, decimal degrees for your home location:
You can put your cursor right on your home, with the terraserver map, using
the decimal degrees..
33.8868
151.2459

http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_gx.asp?cpx=151.17724033462505&cpy=-33.874266831706215&res=8&provider_id=320&t=pan

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/mapping/zoomMap.do?mapIndex=4&brandId=1&level=3

Your magnetic declination there is 12.5 deg east, explained below:
Also by eyeball, look from your house to the following street intersections
and you will be very close
to true north:

Straight up Manning Road Very close to the intersection of  Kiaora Road.,
Or,  very close to the intersection of New South Head Rd and Bellvue Rd

73, DX, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com

>From elsewhere on the web:

Be careful. Variation and deviation are not always in the same direction,
and shouldn't always be added (assuming the plus signs above indicate
addition, rather than "plus the effect of"). Don't forget the old saw:

Variation West, compass best. Variation East, compass least.

In other words, if variation is westerly, then it must be added to the
desired true course to find the magnetic (so that the magnetic bearing is
greater than true or "best"). If variation is easterly it must be
subtracted from true to find magnetic (so that the magnetic bearing is
smaller or "least"). The same rule applies to deviation.

Down here variation is about 12.5 degrees East so it doesn't do to apply it
the wrong way.

Regards, Robert Bryett
Sydney, Australia.
mailto:rbryett@mail.com