Re: [TowerTalk] Asymmetric Radial Field for 80M

To: kb0fhp@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Asymmetric Radial Field for 80M
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:13:29 -0500
On Nov 28, 2005, at 10:15 PM, D. Scott MacKenzie wrote:

> OK, I am sold.  I need to lay out a lot more radials on my little
> top-loaded
> 80M antenna to make it play better.  However, because of terrain, I am
> forced to use an asymmetrical radial field.  I can go 10 feet in one
> quadrant but 60 feet in the rest of the quadrants....

I have a similar problem. I shunt feed a bracketed tower, so there's
a whole quadrant that is blocked by the house.

> Once I get the radials
> laid down, I am going to bring in a truck load of dirt and cover
> them up and
> plant grass.....

I laid my radials out on top of existing grass, held down with small
loops of 12 gauge copper wire, like little staples. After a season,
the grass will grow over the wires, and you won't even be able to
find it.

> What effect does this asymmetrical radial field have on the antenna
> performance?

There's some degradation for having too-short radials, but its
certainly better than having fewer radials.

Put down at least 25 or more radials and enjoy!

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901