Re: [TowerTalk] It's still moving

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] It's still moving
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:35:53 -0500
Apparently they used the wrong lube, or it was supposed to be changed to
something that doesn't stiffen up at zero.  It did eventually make it close
to that last night.  I think too that the rotator hadn't been getting enough
use.

>I sometimes wonders if antenna rotors don't acclimatize to their
> surroundings..... I am amazed at how high a temperature I have heard
> people
> comment on that their rotor is froze up.    Up here a balky rotator at the
> temperature (11F) that Roger mentions would be usable only about 4 months
> of
> year ....  well maybe a stretch but some years it feels that way.  And
> many
> rotors up here do work well into the  minus many degrees F range, altho
> that
> often depends on the line length and grease used.  All my normal sized
> rotors (except Yaesu 400) work fine at -44F, the coldest I've seen here.

The coldest I've evr seen here (43 deg 37 min N) was minus 28F and that was
quite a few years ago. I don't think I've seen much below minus 10F in the
last 10 to 20 years. Then again, our winters are a good 5 weeks shorter than
they were 50 years ago according the Department of Natural Resources (DNR)

> Some places see even colder temps.  I worry more about cracking the jacket
> on the coax at these temps, but I now have most of the coaxes fed thru the
> center of the rotor and come out the bottom, so much easier on the cable.
>
> The bigger, home brew gear box stuff uses kerosene in the gear box to
> dilute
> the heavy gear oil they normally use. I usually take out as much of that
> oil
> as I can and then cut it with kerosene.  And no I don't put a cloth in it
> and light the wick in winter.... they usually need a kick in the winter to
> start which I accomplish by giving them a burst of 220 vac and the drop
> back
> to 110 once they start.  They are 4 or 500 feet away so I know there is a

On this one there is only 200' of cable and it does run on 110 VAC.  The
newer ones run on 24 and 48 VDC

I'd think a heat tape and some insulation wrapped around the whole works
would work wonders.<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)