Re: [TowerTalk] Clean Routing of cables through house wall?

To: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Clean Routing of cables through house wall?
From: "Don and Diana Cunningham" <wb5hak@duracom.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:45:43 -0600
Kelly,
I don't know how "elaborate" you want this to be, but when actually building
my "dream ham shack" here in the country, we added a room on an existing,
covered patio.  While bricking the outside wall, I had the A/C guy build a
small duct, the size of a brick in the wall (actually did two, one on each
wall), and we put that duct from the outside wall through the sheet rock on
the inside.  He made the outside wall solid, and left the inside open, so it
is like a "hollow brick" made of sheet metal.  On the inside, he made me a
blank plate so it looks neat.  If (or when) I have to move, this will come
out and can be replaced by a brick on the outside, some insulation in the
wall, and some sheet rock patching.  That make sense??  I see no reason, if
the house is bricked, that you couldn't gently remove the mortar around a
brick and do something similar.  Makes no real "permanent" hole, and gives
you a 3" x 8" or so opening that is metal and can allow MANY cables to
enter, hi.  On my open wire feed line, I used an electricians LB fitting
(plastic) and a piece of pvc pipe through this device to keep the open wire
off the metal.  Works very well, and the duct can be easily grounded!!  You
can use bulkhead connectors if you like, but I cut holes in it and ran the
coax and open wire into the house before using fittings.  The bulkhead
fittings would go on the inside plate to be accessible.  The A/C guy gave me
some nice rubber bushings that he said came on compressors when they are
shipped that allow RG-213 to go through the metal easily and silicone around
them seals things up.  Insulation in the duct keeps out the cold/heat.
73,
Don, WB5HAK