[TowerTalk] Yagi - Dipole Gain comparison

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Gary.Stone@med.va.gov
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi - Dipole Gain comparison
From: CubexCo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:35:20 EST
Gary, N5PHT wrote-
I am now trying to sort out in my head a simple way to  get a rough idea
about some gain calculations on a Yagi antenna.

For example, if a Yagi has a gain of x db or x dbi (whichever) and  is
running a certain power then at what power level would you need with  a
vertical or dipole to roughly equal the Yagi?  Is there a simple way  to get
a ROUGH idea and not a scientific  solution?

Thanks,  Gary,  N5PHT
=====================================
Gary,
I am sure you will get a variety of answers, and mine will be one of them.
First I would take the premise that the only comparison would be in dBi and
freespace conditions.  There are many variables that have to be factored when
comparing antennas in real world conditons. Effect of the real environment,
such
as terrain, soil conditions and height above ground all must be considered
including the point of measurement, azmith and elevation.

The dB- power relationship is expressed in the formula (dB) = 10 log(P2/P1)
(for same impedances)  The "gain" of a dipole in free space computes to
2.18dbi, subract that from the YAGI gain of Xdbi, (X-2.18) is the difference in
gain
in dBi.  If X= 8.18dBi, then (X-2.18)=6dB or a power ratio of 4.
Therefore it would take 4 watts into the dipole to equal the yagi at 1 watt.
It is probably easiest to have a look up table for dB vs power ratios, or
using the equation above, create a spread sheet solution.

If my mathematics and analysis is not correct I am sure we will see dozens of
emails with the corrections.

Regards,
Norman W4QN