Re: [TowerTalk] Holy SteppIR!

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Holy SteppIR!
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 10:17:46 EST
A link to this array was posted by one of the FCG boys last week.

Very impressive setup.  However, I wonder how effective it will be.  At that
height, I think the angle of radiation would be extremely low and as a result
be generally ineffective most of the time.  Yes, for very long haul and when
the band is closed it will be a killer, but my guess is that most of the time
it will be down from a simple two-stack at a modest height, since the useful
angles are not produced by the array.   I also know my upper stack on 10 at
135/165 stinks most of the time compared to the lower ones.  The upper stack at
200/150 on 20 lagsthe one at 100/50 lots of times too.

>From my experience with multi-level stacks, it would have been a better
investment of time and money to put them in a vertical array and be able to
switch
them in and out, as well as incorporate BIP/BOP.  And from an ease of
maintenance, construction and durability the vertical stack up the tower wins
hands
down.  I also know my upper stack on 10 at 135/165 stinks most of the time
compared to the lower ones

But hey, it's his money and I'm sure the boys at STeppIR are very happy with
it.

Bill K4XS