Re: [TowerTalk] Question for crank owners

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question for crank owners
From: "k0dan" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:33:15 -0600
Rob:

Generally, the 72' tower at this QTH is parked just shy of 100%, unless bad
WX threatens or we are leaving town.Then it is motored down to around 50% or
all the way (about 22' fully tested). Over time, I'd guess the tower
averages about 50% height, and averages full-height about 30% of the time
(remainder is probably maintenance or extremely severe wind or ice).

These very conservative habits are not because the tower demands it, but
because I have no requriement to push the envelope and I sure as hell don't
want to go to the labor/expense of repair/replace. If you buy and build
conservative, then use the installation conservative, you'll only need to
make the investment once.

You should not need to give special treatment in winter (or other seasons),
but quarterly inspection & maintenance will find and repair normal wear &
tear, weathering, etc. This effort will keep your tower/antenna system
operating safely and reliably almost indefinitely.

On the other hand, it is wise to use these machines frequently. They'll run
better if they are exercised frequently.

Good luck & 73
Dan
K0DAN
PS Here's a photo (scroll down below center of web page) of our tower at
about 80% height (60 feet?) during an ice storm that loaded all trees,
antennas, and everything else, with about 1" of raidal ice. It was scary,
immobile, and ugly, but everything survived with no ill effects. We are in
the Kansas City area. http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2002/02/13/3/