[TowerTalk] Katrina damaged steppIR

To: <BARBIEKENW@peoplepc.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Katrina damaged steppIR
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 06:26:51 -0500
Ken,

Bucket truck, or even a bucket 'trailer', which are available
from equipment rental companies is a good idea.  Unless you
can climb the backside of the tower, safely, to remove the
steppIR from the Hazer, and lower the hazer to ground.

As to fixing the steppIR,  I recommend speaking with the Mertel's.
Before buying mine, I asked about crash parts and rebuilds, anticipating
the VT woods would attack someday.   Replacement fiberglass tubes are
like 30 bucks.  UPS shipped, easily changed.  If the elements were extended
when the antenna was damaged, then the housings should go back to steppIR
for inspection and possible replacement of the BeCu tape.  I think they
quoted me $100 to replace tape on one and test it, but that was 4 years ago.

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org
jimjarvis@verizon.net