Re: [TowerTalk] k9ay

To: <rmthorne@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] k9ay
From: "Federico Zanini - IK3UMT" <ik3umt@ir3ip.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 18:05:53 +0100
Rich,
I live in a urban environment where QRM/N is S8-9 all day (that's why my
request about k9ay) and i can say you YES, Wellbrook loop makes the
difference , you can receive signals even 4-5 S point down but received
signal comes up in between qrm.
Pros are weight , dimension, capability to reyect "electric" component of
qrm and you can null out some 90 degrees coming big signals.
Cons by the way are reduced capture area and the fact that antenna is
untuned (it receives and preaplify your low dx signal and 9+60 AM broadcast
station as well .....!!)
Keep in mind I have it at top of my yagis @ 20mt in totally free space.
However i repeat I always hear signals that I can't copy with sloper but
never vice-versa.
It would be nice if a remotely tunable preselector had been placed direct to
loop before preamplifier (but it is resin-sealed inside loop base).

It works the same in 160 as in 80
That's all.
Best regards.
Federico.