Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Yagi - Height Recommendation

To: Keith Dutson <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Yagi - Height Recommendation
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:58:13 -0500
On Jan 4, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Keith Dutson wrote:

> I am planning to install a 2 el 80M Yagi.  Originally it was going
> on a 120
> foot Rohn 55G tower.  I now have some flexibility and can put it on
> a taller
> tower, up to 190 feet.  What are the recommended heights for this
> type of
> beam, and why?  Thanks in advance for your comments.

120 ft / 280 ft = 0.43 wavelength high

190 ft / 280 ft = 0.68 wavelength high

It's generally considered that horizontal antennas don't have much of
a directional pattern until they are 1/4 wavelength high or higher.
But, even at 190 feet, you still aren't one wavelength high yet. Not
even 3/4 wavelength. The ground will have a heavy influence on the
pattern.

I'd go with higher - you'll have a more distinct pattern from the yagi.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901