Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Bolt Antennas

To: Blake Bowers <bbowers@townsqr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Bolt Antennas
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:08:36 -0500
On Jan 5, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Blake Bowers wrote:

> If they find it that useful, pay the dollar that I have on
> it for a price, after asking 20 questions about the items, and
> then not buying it because I tell them its not guaranteed to
> work.

$1.00 is a much higher price than $0.00 ....

> Why were they not worth a dollar apiece, yet they were
> worth climing through a trash dumpster?

Would you pay a dollar for something that someone else was giving
away free?

> Back here at home, after people brought me radios that
> I had thrown into my dumpster - wanting me to fix them -
> or wanting to know who would....  And of course wanting
> that done for next to nothing......

Then tell them you'll fix them for your standard service price
(perhaps given them the brother-in-law discount by multiplying that
by 2 or 3 times). Quote something exorbitant.

> Standing orders,
> if it goes into the dumpster, make sure it is obvious broke.

Still doesn't make sense.

> Of course, I can send you the stuff I don't sell at the next
> hamfest I sell at, you can buy it from me, and give it to
> anyone you want.

If you are going to throw it away, then you shouldn't expect someone
to pay for it. In fact, you might consider paying them a small amount
to haul it away, just as you pay the waste disposal folks.

There was a time when I'd accept free stuff. These days, I'm a little
more picky.

>   At that point it is yours to do with what
> you want, and I promise you I won't fault you for whatever
> you do with it.

Legally, the moment it hits the dumpster, it's no longer yours.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901