[TowerTalk] 30-30 antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 30-30 antenna
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:48:19 -0500
>From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
>Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical antenna w/twinlead feeder
>To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
>
>Hi All
>
>How does a vertical antenna fed with twin lead work?  I remember years ago,
>there used to be an all band antenna in the ARRL antenna book that had a 30
>foot vertical section and a 30 foot radial.  This antenna was fed with open
>wire.
>
>If you put up a 60 foot vertical with a bunch of radials, and feed it with
>twinlead, is it going to work.  Would the pattern be the same as a vertical
>fed with coax and matching networks--such as a 60 foot vertical on 20 with a
>matching network.  73
>Tom W7WHY

Hey Tom,

This is the OLD 30-30 antenna and it pbly has not been in the Antenna
Book in 30 plus years! Sure was nice with those old tank circuits
that could tune an antenna like this.

John Haerle WB5IIR wrote an article in May 1979 HR that discussed a
cage type antenna that was fed with ladder line.

If you "Google" WB5IIR you'll find some information about what he did
in the article. One claim he made was that this antenna did not need
radials, which is not true.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
JCCLARK@WILDBLUE.NET