Re: [TowerTalk] tower specs/not wind loads

To: farmer.aj@gmail.com, Steve@bnjcomp.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower specs/not wind loads
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:15:34 -0800
Folks:

Been there, done that, on a Rohn 25, 50 footer free standing, of a ham
friend, donating some tower work....The tower was professionally installed,
with what looked like  a 5' by 5' square concrete base.  I did not know how
deep the concrete was.  I assumed the engineering was right because the
tower was installed by a well known local 2 way radio business...
I worked on it from time to time, on my friend's  TA 33 beam, and was
DEFINITELY  uncomfortable with the sway and 'exposure' I felt 50 ft up,
unguyed.  Kept telling myself quietly...Well this WAS installed by a 2 way
contractor.. must be right.....I later was told that there was no official
Rohn specs for any unguyed 25 tower, but that it was not uncommon to have
done on a case by case basis (with case by case engineering) to heights of
40 ft.   Gave me the Willies......haven't been up that tower since.

73, DX, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com