Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar cage - ???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebar cage - ???
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:25:16 -0500

> Hi Roger,
>
> Did you find that the fiberglass reinforced concrete had little slivers of
> fiberglass constantly coming out of it? Also when finishing it was there a
> problem with the fiberglass?

In two words..."Ohhhh Yahhh".

OTOH they are not insurmountable.
I preped the floor by pressure washing it (3300 psi), etching , rewashing,
let thouroughly dry and then started rolling on the epoxy.

After rolling on the first coat of two part epoxy I certainly had a "non
skid" floor.  Those strings or slivers formed little, or maybe not so little
triangular peaks.  I guess it depends on your viewpoint, but they were too
tall for a second coat to cover and I sure would have never run barefoot
over that floor.<:-))  One thing is for sure, had I left it that way I'd
never have had to worry about slipping or spinning the tires on the car in
there.

At that point I rented one of those large industrial, orbital sanders.
That's one of those that weighs several hundred pounds.  I don't remember if
I used 60 or 80 grit pads, but a fast and thourough once over left no more
peaks.  At that point I pressure washed the floor, let it dry and put on a
final coat of epoxy.

It's about ready for a new top coat of epoxy, but that will have to wait
until warm weather.  Even then I may have to do it in sections.   The shop
suffers from TMS or too much ...ahhh... stuff and most of it would not do
well outside and not at all well if it got wet.  I'm just hopping to get the
horizontal stabilizer mounted on the fuselage in the next couple of weeks.
It *may* give me enough room to move the airplane far enough to the west to
get the 4-Runner in the front of the shop and out of the elements.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

> Thanks
> Gary  K4FMX