Re: [TowerTalk] fiberlass again - only different ;^)

To: Doug Robson <doug.robson@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] fiberlass again - only different ;^)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:34:31 -0800
At 01:59 PM 1/27/2006, Doug Robson wrote:
>I read with great interest and delight at all the help that was forthcoming
>on the topic of fiberglass rod.
>
>My desires for fiberglass are somewhat different,  Different enough to
>wonder whether or not such use
>is even feasible.  I would like to know if anyone has found a source of
>fiberglass tubing or pipe that
>is strong enough to go to heights of 60 or 70 feet without going crazy with
>guys.
>I love the idea, however, of a non-conducting support, and fiberglass, if it
>were a great deal stronger,
>  and stiffer seems like it would fill the bill.

Stronger isn't really what you're looking for.  Stiffer is, and it's really
an aesthetic issue.

In general, fiberglass structural pieces are about the same weight and
strength as aluminum, and twice as flexible as aluminum. (that is, the
ultimate failure stress is the same, but the modulus is half)

Larger in diameter makes for stiffer and stronger.  You can make a very,
very thin wall tube and have it be quite stiff and strong.

You can also make a very stiff structure with fiberglass structural members
in a lattice (like a regular tower).  There's special structural epoxy you
use to stick it all together.