Re: [TowerTalk] Need Idea's on what Hardware to use to bring in COaxand

To: "Rob @ Peg Pohorence" <mcyman@yahoo.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Idea's on what Hardware to use to bring in COaxand Grounds
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:04:50 +0000
Rob:

     Until I installed a tower plus associated conduit runs into the shack, my
coax came out of the house through a clothes drier vent that covered a series
of holes in the wood frame of the shack, drilled just above the cement block
foundation.  The coax then runs in the crawl space underneath the shack and
emerges indoors through several holes I drilled up through the
flooring/carpeting in the shack.

     Had I had a larger drill and 4-inch hole cutter I would have made one
large hole, just like for a drier vent hose.  Instead I drilled four or five
3/4-inch holes to pass several coax lengths plus connectors through to the
outside.  I kept the holes close together in a circular pattern so the vent
cover could hide all openings.  The coax runs then went underground or up the
adjacent chimney to their respective antennas.  If applicable to your
installation, you could even mount this vent higher up on the side of your
house for coax that leads upward.

     An alternative would be to use gray (UV-resistant) electrical conduit
components to protect your coax runs as they emerge from your shack to the
outside world.  Check out Scott KA9FOX's web page at
http://www.qth.com/gallery/AntennaParty/05_10_KA9FOX_065 and note the smaller
dark PVC conduit and elbow just outside his shack.  Yours would have to be
considerably bigger (I'd suggest 3 inch or larger) for multiple coax runs.

     With either of these alternatives you could abandon them in place when you
sold the house.  Neither looks out of place.  Just be sure you stuff any open
space with fiberglass insulation to keep outdoor critters outdoors.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Rob @ Peg Pohorence" <mcyman@yahoo.com>