[TowerTalk] Dipole Centre - Proximity To Metal Mast

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dipole Centre - Proximity To Metal Mast
From: "Jim Martin - MM0BQI" <MM0BQI@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:26:11 -0000
I have a small garden and just manage to squeeze a 40/80 loaded dipole from the
roof to the fence.  The centre of the dipole is currently unsupported six feet
above the flat roof and I would like to increase this to about fifteen feet by
supporting the centre with a fifteen foot metal mast.  Can I secure the dipole
centre directly to the metal mast (2 inch diam pole) or should I use some form
of insulated stand off?  The dipole ends are only a foot from the metal end
supports, will this be having a detrimental effect on performance?
With this sort of compromise you need to squeeze every bit of advantage where
you can so your comments and advice on what is actually worthwhile doing would
be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim,  MM0BQI