Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning and insulated elements..
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:12:35 +0000
Peter Chadwick wrote:
>At one time, lightning arrestors with radio active tips were used, the
>idea being that the extra ionisation would attract the
>lightning bolt to the arrestor rather than teh building inteneded to be
>protected. Whether the efficacy or otherwise was ever
>proved is another matter.

No, the extra ionisation was too localised to make any dramatic
difference. What they did find was radioactively contaminated rainwater
running down lightning conductors... and if one of the radioactive tips
ever was hit by lightning, guess what happened then?

They ended up in my former employer's museum of dumb things to do with
radioactivity.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK