Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: tristao 50 ft motorized crank up HELP

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: tristao 50 ft motorized crank up HELP
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:37:23 -0800
Interesting--I purchased two "Tri-Ex LM470" towers in 2002.  These were sold
by First Call Communications, Inc. in New York ran by Joel.  I heard Joel
tell me a lot of things that turned out not to be true.  I think that his
tower sales ceased and that maybe some lost money because the towers were
not delivered.  I don't know if this is true.  The towers were manufactured
in California
and manufactured by a company named Paragon and Bob Vargas was the contact
man (president?).  I don't know if Tashjian was THE engineer but he was the
PE that signed off on the stress analysis.  The stress analysis as well as
the operating manual had the Tri-Ex renamed to SKY-470 but some pages still
had the Tri-Ex logo on them.

Wil-Burt took over but it is my understanding that they were not happy with
the design or construction method of the tower and decided not to produce
them except for a very few initially.  My two towers had some questionable
items such as the raising cable rubbing on a cross member.  Both of my
towers had some sloppy construction e.g.  I had to ream out about half of
the 15 holes in order for the bolts to fit through the tower legs and the
base mounting fixture.  The holes were out of line on both sides of the
line!

In 2000, First Call put out an advertising paper which stated that the
Tri-Ex tower as of Jan 2000 used 60,000 KSI yield strength tubing on the leg
and that greatly increased the wind load capability.  I have never
understood why US Tower didn't follow suit to increase their wind load
capability if that is all it took?

k7puc