Re: [TowerTalk] KT34XA or KT36XA WITH LADDER LINE ?

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT34XA or KT36XA WITH LADDER LINE ?
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:56:35 -0000
From: "Fabio Grisafi - IT9GSF" <fabio.grisafi@libero.it>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 10:49 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT34XA or KT36XA WITH LADDER LINE ?

> Hello Guys !
>
> I have to refurbish my KT34XA antenna with the M2 kit to
> have a KT36XA antenna but I have an idea !
>
> What about using a ladder line (300 Ohm or 400 Ohm) and
> use a tuner at the station level or a balun there ?
>
> I think I could have some major advantages:
>
> 1) Low loss in the line even with high SWR at the band
> ends.
>
> 2) Low loss in the WARC bands with the untuned antenna
> without balun.
>
> 3) No balun to burn.
>
> 4) .... no coax costs.
>
> What do you suggest ?
>
> Where is the negative side of the story ?

Don't worry about high swr causing line loss at the band
edges with a KT-34XA.
Don't worry about burning up the balun. I run 1500W RTTY all
the time.
Coax cost is minimal, compared to the cost of that antenna.
WARC band performance is hard to predict, but probably won't
be very good.

The BIG disadvantage with ladder line, in my experience, is
that when you bring it into the shack, your receiver will
hear your own computer, TV, and digital device birdies, and
those of all your neighbors.

Also, any imbalances in routing the ladder line will
seriously degrade the KT34 pattern nulls.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ