[TowerTalk] Parallel feedline switching (was 'feed line?')

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Parallel feedline switching (was 'feed line?')
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:14:00 -0500
Hi Jim,

A solution that I use:

1) Terminate each parallel feedline with a 5ft section of shielded parallel
line (see ARRL Antenna Book or http://www.qsl.net/n1lo/80mdblet.pdf  ), made
from 2 5ft lengths of RG-8X or RG-213, each terminated with a PL-259.

2) In your grounded entrance panel or grounding strip, install 4 Amphenol
UHF bulkhead connectors and connect the shielded parallel feedlines to the
outside.

3) Manufacture another shielded parallel feedline jumper long enough to
reach from your tuner to the entrance panel, connect it permanently to the
tuner and terminate the other end with quick-disconnect push-on PL-259's.

4) When ready to operate, plug the shielded parallel jumper from the tuner
into the bulkhead connectors for whichever antenna you desire to use.

5) When not operating, disconnect the tuner from the entrance panel, and
short the UHF bulkhead terminals using PL-259 push-on plugs that have been
converted with short circuits inside them.

Refer to the following towertalk post in the archives for a more complete
description of this method:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/1999-12/msg00395.html

Hope this helps,

--...MARK_N1LO...--

Jim Asks;

<< How would one put a switch in line for 2 ladder line antennas?
I am tired of connecting and disconnecting these two antennas onto my Tuner.
Thanks   Jim Barron >>