Re: [TowerTalk] AlfaSpid- Prosistel Debate

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AlfaSpid- Prosistel Debate
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:56:03 -0800
At 11:59 AM 3/8/2006, Doug Renwick wrote:

>Jay's note about the Navy approval of the Prosistel rotor is
>interesting but at present will not affect my purchasing
>decisions.  The results of an explosion test may be
>interesting, but I do not foresee 'shells' coming my
>direction.  I would be much more interested to know how much
>the Navy is paying for this rotor.

I'd be even more interested in the details of the "Navy approval"... what
requirements (some form of MIL-810 for environments?  MIL-461 for
EMI/EMC?), what testing, etc.

DoD has literally millions of specifications, some meaningful in this
context, some not.  A water resistance/salt spray test and/or tests over
temperature would be of great interest to hams. So would any electrical
tests or life tests. Whether the type size used to indicate the CAGE code
on the nameplate is correct is less so.

Folks, this isn't directed at Prosistel, or anyone in particular, but
seeing "purchased by ABC big entity" isn't necessarily a indication of
quality.  It just means that someone was willing to fork out the bucks to
buy it for whatever they needed it for (and that might have been to be used
once in a destructive test).

Jim, W6RMK