Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 INTERACTION WITH TRIBANDER

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM240 INTERACTION WITH TRIBANDER
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 02:11:48 -0600
I just had an interesting antenna experience.

K4JRB mentioned that his XM240 works as well as his dipole L (I think
maybe that is an inverted L?). Anyway, knowing that an antenna this
short can't be very good on 160 meters I ran it thru EZNEC and came up
with a feedpoint impedance of 2-j2100.  Running this number thru TWL I
get a loss for my 225 feet of RG213 of 34 dB. Seems reasonable.  So this
antenna should be lousy.

Tonight I tried it.  I used a tuner to match the XM240 to 50 ohms on 160
meters. That was the first surprise, the tuner was able to match it.
Then I compared it to a low 160 meter inverted vee (apex at 50 ft, ends
at 15 ft). At first I compared it to close stations that would likely
arrive at high angles.  To my amazement, there was no difference, both
had about the same signal strength.  Then I listened to some European
stations.  Another surprise, the XM240 was as good as the inverted vee,
actually better because the noise level was much lower on the XM240.

I know there must be a logical reason for this, and with antennas
analysis programs, it is usually because you are not analyzing the real
world situation.  This was the case here also. Actually, the real
antenna is not the XM240.  The XM240 has a balun, however at 160 meters
it probably doesn't work as a balun at all.  With the feedline taped to
the boom, mast and tower, plus the shield is connected to the tower,
this antennas is very unbalanced, and the common mode currents go right
into the tower, and other lines.  So the real antenna is the tower.  In
my case, the 160 meter inverted vee is also on the tower, and this also
radiates some. So with the real model now in hand, running the impedance
again, I get a feedpoint impedance of 800 -j1150.  Doing a plot I get
about the same gain as the low inverted vee. Plugging the impedance into
TLW, I get a feedline loss of 5.8 dB.  So the calculated difference now
is within 5.8 dB.  Refining the model further would probably resolve the
remaining difference, (it's probably the other antennas on the tower
which I didn't include in the model) but the real question has been
resolved. The XM240 does not work well on 160 meters, but the feedline
for it does.

Jerry, K4SAV