Re: [TowerTalk] Why insurance companies hate Florida

To: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Scott Neader KA9FOX" <ka9fox@qth.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why insurance companies hate Florida
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:16:42 -0500
Insurance and particularly insurance for towers and radio equipment can be
quite important and I'd guess that for this group a good percentage of us
have sizeable investments in our antenna systems.

Although many of those same people put up their own systems, myself
included, it may not always be possible to do our own work. When that
happens even "fixing" and antenna is going to get expensive.  It takes about
7 hours "on the tower" just to get to the top arrays spend maybe an hour on
them and then get the array back up.  It'd take two climbers, or about 14
hours of pay just for the labor.

Of course insurance does not take care of normal maintenance items and these
would be out-of-pocket expenses.  OTOH a severe ice and/or wind storm taking
out the antennas would not only require the tower time, but a crane (with
extension boom) for a day with the assumption that the new antennas and mast
replacement would be ready to go.  Now we are looking at two climbers for a
couple of days plus a crane and operator for a day.

So we are looking at well over $1,000 for the antennas (probably closer to
$2,000), on the order of 10 to 20 hours assembly time on the ground, finding
and procuring a new 44' chrome molly mast @ $500 plus, as a guess $2000
labor for climbing, about $1,000 to $2400 for the crane plus $500 to $800
for the operator, not to mention the damage to the driveway and landscaping
from the crane. So we are looking at close to $5,000 just to replace some
relatively ordinary antennas. With a StepperIR, or large HF antenna I could
have that much in the antenna alone and many on here apparently have far
*more* invested in their antenna systems than I.

It can be difficult to get an big antenna system insured and the insurance
company may want to see a professional installation with engineering specs
before they'll consider issuing a policy.  Now, move into a high risk area
like Florida or the Gulf coast and you are pretty much on your own.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com
> Scott,
>
> Although this list is primarily for the topic you describe, a project
> frequently has incidental things related to the project that are not
> directly related to the nuts and bolts of the project. Things such as
> permits, neighbors, court decisions, and insurance. Although not directly
> related, I think this topic could be related to towers as an incidental.
> Of
> course it has taken a life of it's own at this point, but things will
> simmer
> down soon I'm sure.

<snip for bandwidth>