Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading comment misdirected? W7VP

To: <NPAlex@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind loading comment misdirected? W7VP
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:13:21 -0800
Yes Jim and I wish I could get my aerodynamics students to see it beyond
that level of simplicity.  Indeed the coefficient of drag will increase
rapidly when there is boundary layer separation, which occurs within a range
of Reynolds Numbers.  After separation the flow behind the round object (or
for that matter any object) becomes turbulent, changing the pressure
distribution behind the object hence increasing the drag.  In teaching
pilots about this it is often a chore to get them to appreciate the
significance of the Reynolds Number to the flow situation since most of them
do not have the math necessary to do the evaluations using the compressible
flow fluid calculations.  I introduce them to compressible flow with the
Bernoulli Equation for compressible flow to show them how the standard
atmosphere is determined .That is usually the limit of their capability.
They are not aeronautical engineering students)and so we tend to use
aggregate parasite drag coefficients for airspeeds below about 250 knots
since it can be proven that the compressibility of air below that airspeed
is minimally significant and can be disregarded.

Best regards.

Bill