Re: [TowerTalk] Mast wind loading

To: towertalk@contesting.com, sabrams@nycap.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast wind loading
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:38:38 EST

In a message dated 3/26/2006 6:09:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  Hi All,
I have been biting my tongue for years about the  theoretical load of Rohn
towers.  It may be important for building  code purposes and surely is for
Rohn's litigation exposure, but in the  real world it is really unimportant.
A properly installed and guyed Rohn  tower will hold MANY times more than
indicated in the catalogs.  I  look at the pictures of Rohn 25 with a single
beam at the top because of  "loading' and I laugh.  Here in the Northeast
there are dozens, if  not hundreds of big contesters with super-loaded towers
for years without  any mishaps, except for the ocassional 2 inches of ice and
50 mph winds  together. My 100 foot Rohn 45 tower has a 15 foot, 3 inch moly
mast with a  4 element homebrew 15 meter beam on a 35 foot boom and a 4
element  homebrew 20 meter beam on a 57 foot 3 inch boom.  At 80 feet I have
a  2 element Cushcraft 40 meter beam, at 68 feet I have a TH7DXX, at 50 feet
I have a homebrew 6 element 10 meter beam on a 27 foot boom, and 34 feet I
have another TH7DXX, and at 70 feet I have a Ringo Ranger II vertical. You
calculate the wind loading!! It's been up for over 25 years without any
problems. So, If you need official documentation, follow the catalog  values.
If you want to put up real antennas, just do it, but do it right,  no corner
cutting or compromises in materials.  Just my  opinion.

    Perhaps you should have continued biting your  tongue. The aforementioned
anecdotal observations are interesting but have no  basis in fact or
engineering practice. Sure, hams overload towers and, sure,  most of them stay
up but
that doesn't mean that they are safe and reliable  installations.

    Ignore the LXC Prime Directive to "DO what the  manufacturer says" at
your potential peril.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188